Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday, January 16: Run + skijor

Skijoring is so much fun, but it really isn't much of a workout when I take both Kari and Blaze.  Today I went for a three mile run in the neighborhood before I loaded the car with skis and dogs for my afternoon skijor adventure.

The parking lot at Selkirk was uncharacteristically empty when I got there.  The snow has been melting so fast that the parking lot is now down to bare gravel, and the ski conditions are very much like spring skiing right now.  I don't mind the wet snow as much as I mind the debris on the trail.

Despite the fact that there were very few people skiing this afternoon, today I met the first anti-skijor person.  It was a very strange conversation.  First she stopped to tell me that dogs were not allowed on the ski trails.  Her tone was a little confrontational, but I assumed that she just didn't realize that there were designated skijor days on the mountain.  When I told her that we were allowed on certain trails on Wednesdays and Sundays after 2pm, her first response was to check her watch (it was 2:45).  Then she asked if I was sure it was this trail.  I assured her it was, pointing out the skijor trail sign that I happened to be standing near and letting her know about the other signs at the lodge.  She examined the sign and said "But I thought it was just for skijoring."  I wonder what she thought skijoring was?  I assured her that skijoring was exactly what I was doing.  At that she took off, but she still seemed a little angry that I wasn't doing something wrong.  Of course, immediately after she left I got the more typical response--a couple of people skied up and wanted to pet the dogs and ask questions about skijoring.

No comments: