Saturday, September 3, 2011

August 31, 2011--Where did my August go? Somewhere over the rainbow!

I had lots of big plans for today--too many plans, really.  And mother nature had a few plans of her own!

What I did manage to do was hold today's cross country practice at Iller Creek.  I have turned the majority of the team into dedicated trail runners.  When I said we were going to the top, the girls cheered!  That's a tough run, so I'm thrilled that they love it so much.  In fact, several of the girls who were just introduced to the trail in the past year through cross country practice have told me that they have returned with their families in order to share it with them, too.  One girl told me that when she took her mom, her mom couldn't believe that Iller Creek was public property (and so close to home!).

After the run I had a few errands to take care of, and then I intended to either go to Coeur d'Alene or Mount Spokane for another hike.  In fact, I already had my day pack stocked with lunch, snacks and water and it was in the back of the car, ready for anything.  Then I came out of a store to a downpour.  There seemed to be a break in it, but I decided to hang out in the garden for awhile just in case.  I got distracted by my veggies and spent a couple hours harvesting things (until I had about 50 pounds-worth in the wheelbarrow!).  By then the storm clouds were moving in and it looked like a thunder storm was on the way.  I decided that perhaps my knees had had enough.  I started hike-a-thon by camping in the biggest thunderstorm ever in the Wallowas, and I ended hike-a-thon by watching a relatively tame thunderstorm from the comfort of home.  Mother nature even rewarded me with a gorgeous double rainbow in my front yard: 
So I fell a little short on my mileage goals...okay, a lot short.  But hey, rainbows are there to remind us that things will be better in the future, right?  Next year I'll hike more (and avoid illness and hopefully funerals!).  Besides, Hike-a-Thon is really about the fundraising, and that has gone better than I could have possibly imagined!  Donations are still coming in, and I have far surpassed my original goal!  I'm calling this H-A-T a huge success!

Total mileage = 5.5

Hike-a-Thon 2011 grand total = 252.8!!!

No comments: