Wednesday, May 9, 2012

April 30 - May 6

The week was nearly a complete loss: One day of running after work, and it was just a boring neighborhood three mile loop.

Things started looking up for the weekend, however.  I returned to my favorite morel spot, convinced that this weekend would be the peak.  I was right!  It's hard to know my mileage for sure since a lot of it was walking up and down the mountainsides picking morels, but by the end of the weekend I estimate that I covered about twenty miles and came home with somewhere close to twenty pounds of morels!  Time to look up new recipes to try out!

On the way home I turned on the radio to a re-run NPR broadcast of an Adrienne Rich poetry reading where one of the poems was "What Kind of Times Are These."  The first lines of the first three stanzas are "There's a place between two stands of trees where the grass grows uphill // I've walked there picking mushrooms at the edge of dread, but don't be fooled // I won't tell you where the place is, the dark mesh of the woods [...]."  It's such a cool poem in and of itself, and it seemed especially fitting today.

Weekly mileage = 3 miles running & 20 miles hiking

No comments: