Thursday, August 12, 2010

Best huckleberries in the park!

I camped at the chalet last night--I slept outside on the deck, saw a shooting star in the middle of the night, and woke up long enough to admire the sunrise (but not quite long enough to get out of the sleeping bag to grab the camera, unfortunately).  Today I wanted to hike back out to Shadow Mountain to see how the huckleberries were looking.  Many of them were still green last week, but today they were awesome!  I tried to force myself to head back around noon, but it took me almost an hour to pry myself off the Shadow Mountain trail (only 2.2K in length) because I kept finding such huge huckleberries.  I think I found more than a 1/2 gallon today, and I think I need to go back tomorrow!
Trails hiked: out on Brian's Hill, Larch, and Lodge Pole, around the Shadow Mountain trail, and back on Lodge Pole, Blue Jay, and Bear Grass.
Cool thing that happened on the way out = I spooked four coyotes on Larch today.  Three of them ran off immediately, but one was really, really curious about me.  I kept whistling and it kept moving closer!
Curious coyote
Trying to figure out what I am!
Okay, not seen while hiking...this cutie was in my back yard when I got home.

Today's mileage = 5.72 miles
Grand total for the month = 138.29 miles

No comments: