Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday, August 13, 2010

Today I decided that my calf was feeling good enough to give it another test run.  This time, just to be on the safe side, I wore new running shoes and wrapped the muscle.  I decided to try the Hay Ridge Loop on Mount Spokane--it doesn't have too much elevation gain and the it's all an old abandoned road bed, so the footing is good.

It mostly turned out well, too.  The loop is 4.5 miles, and I managed to run most of it before my calf started to hurt again.  I first felt pain on an uphill segment at 33 minutes (the last time I ran I didn't even make it to 10 minutes!) so I walked the hill.  I started to run again on the downhill, but by 38 minutes I could tell that I was done.  I walked the last 1/2 mile.  I could really tell that it has been 6.5 weeks since my last real run, too.  Despite all of the Hike-a-Thon miles, running is a completely different animal.

After the run I returned to my huckleberry patch, and probably got close to a gallon this afternoon!  I'm going back tomorrow--I want to try a couple new places.  If I don't hit my 300 miles for the month I think I'll have to blame my huckleberry distraction.  I lose a lot of hiking time in the huckleberry patch, but they are worth it!

I think I'll also try running again tomorrow.  The tape really helped, so maybe I can start building up some running mileage again.  I really should be doing 30-40 miles a week right now.  It has been a long time since I have had an injury that's kept me from running for so long.

Today's trails:
run: Hay Ridge Loop (Kit Carson Loop + 155 & 115) [4.5 miles]
huckleberry hike: out on Brian's Hill, Blue Jay, Lodge Pole, & Shady Way, around Shadow Mountain, and back on Shady Way, Lodge Pole, Alpine, & Bear Grass [5.72 miles]

Today's Total Mileage: 10.22 miles
August Total Mileage: 148.51 miles

No comments: