Sunday, August 14, 2011

Friday, August 12, 2011: Eightmile Lakes

Today I drove to Leavenworth for the Alpine Lakes Wilderness dayhikes with Deb and Jeff.  It was supposed to be a Mountaineers' event, but only one person signed up and then she got injured and canceled.  Deb was still injured, too, so it was just going to be Jeff and me hiking; Deb brought a bike.

My job was to get there early and find a campsite, but I failed miserably!  I left Spokane a little later than I intended, and arrived at Eightmile Campground at 4pm.  The sign said there were still spaces available, but there weren't.  I went to the next campground and found it was already full, too.  I then drove up to the trailhead for Eightmile Lakes and did a quick out-and-back to the upper lake--it was an easy trail, and I should have just run it!  It took about 2 hours to hike it.  Then I went to leave a note for Jeff and Deb that we'd be stuck camping at the trailhead.  We weren't the only ones, either--as I cooked my dinner in the parking lot several other people drove in, and we all ended up converting the back of our cars into our beds for the night.  Actually, it was pretty comfortable, and it allowed us a very early start for Saturday's big hike.

Mileage = 6.6
Lakes visited = Little Eightmile Lake and Eightmile Lake

No comments: